Monday, November 26, 2012

Advent: Preparing by Being


Advent, the four weeks before Christmas, is my favorite church season. If you look for a definition of Advent, you’ll see that it’s a time of preparation for the coming of Christ, which is true and part of the reason why I like the season. I like the decorations and music that prepare us for Christmas. But that’s not why I love Advent.

I love Advent because it is a season unto itself. It’s not Christmas, it’s Advent. It’s not preparation, it’s being. Wikipedia tells us that Latin adventus is the translation of the Greek word parousia, which means “the physical presence of a person, which where that person is not already present refers to the prospect of the physical arrival of that person.” Key word: presence.

Christians prepare for the Christ that is already with us. For me, this is a very yogic view of Christmas. We’re enjoying the anticipation of a future happy event, fully knowing that the event is with us every day, every minute. God, Spirit, the Divine—whichever name you choose—is with each of us always, whether we recognize it or not. There are special places and times that allow us to remove the barriers that we place between ourselves and the Divine. Celtic Christians recognize “thin places,” specific places where there is only a thin veil between this world and the world of Spirit. Most faith traditions recognize such places.

Advent is a Thin Veil place for me. It’s a time when I often develop a special spiritual practice for four weeks. It’s a place where I think of family far away, friends near and far, and feel the connection with so many I love.

This Advent, one of my practices will be this blog. I’ll share my spiritual practice with you, along with photos and videos, recipes, prayers and meditations, yoga asana (poses), thoughts, traditions, readings, mudras, music, pranayama (breathing practices)…whatever seems Advent-y to me each day. I hope that you will share your practices, thoughts, ideas, questions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment